Friday, November 13, 2009

Tribal Treats

Sometimes we tend to forget the simple things God has given us to enjoy eating when we live in a ‘pre-packaged’ society.  Living in the tribe has opened my eyes to some interesting ‘delicacies’ that I would not have otherwise experienced.  Some are very good and delicious, others I will simply say I’ve been there, done that and prefer a Big Mac instead.IMG_2686

One of my favourites is buko, aka fresh coconut.  I even learned how to use a bolo (machete) to open it, once I bought one.  Until then, I had to use my hatchet.  Having said that, I think I’ll always be reliant on getting someone else to cut them down out of the tree for me.  

 

 

IMG_2672 When we arrived in the village last time, we decided to ask one of the neighbours about getting some bananas.  We were thinking maybe one stock would be sufficient for our time there.  The next day he showed up with 3 stocks of bananas! I guess he figured we really like them.  We learned to be more specific in what we ask for.

 

 

DSCF1900 One of the favourite village past times is to enjoy a cup of local coffee together.  My dad even enjoyed that one.DSC02913

DSC02939 It is typical here in the Philippines to have some sort of ‘ulam’ (meat) with rice at your meals.  In the tribe, that means not just chicken and pork.  One day, while on the trail our tribal friend killed a cobra.  Needless to say, it didn’t go to waste.  I didn’t end up tasting that one,DSC02907 although I was invited to dinner at his house that night.  I politely passed. Our neighbour, Itang wanted to share her ‘ulam’ with us one day.  It was a nice gesture, and the frog legs didn’t actually taste too bad.  Others advised us not to eat the fresh water shrimp though.  I didn’t complain about it.

 

By Chuck.

No comments: