Friday, September 20, 2013

Treating the sick

I have been asked recently how things have been going with any medical work in the village.  If you remember this time last year I was in North Carolina at Equip International's Missionary Medical Intensive course.  So was it worth the time and money?

Most definitely!  The first day we arrived in the village the medical questions/concerns started.  It was actually the need for a sterile blade to cut an umbilical cord!  Thankfully I had one and I was able to help tie off the umbilical cord of a baby just minutes old and watch the father cut the cord.  The best part was being able to hold this little guy when he was less than an hour old.  Even before we arrived in the village I was getting texts from people with medical questions.  Chuck had asked me what to do for a man’s foot that was cut when he was in the village before I arrived too.  Almost every time someone comes to me I pull out my trusty “Village Medical Manual”.  It certainly has come in handy in finding a diagnosis and deciding on treatment.  I still don’t claim to be a doctor or a nurse.  There are many times that I still don’t have an answer or just can’t treat a person.  I still recommend that people go to town to see a doctor when it is something I don’t know how to deal with.  Then I also have my doctor friend in Manila who is just an email away.  I am so thankful for the training I had and help that I can get.  It has given me a new confidence to be able to help people with their needs.  But I still depend on the Lord for wisdom.

So what else has come my way in just 5 weeks???  I have seen 4 feet with “something” in them.  I have been able to treat 2 of them and recommended that 2 of them go to town.  I have seen a 1 yr old with pneumonia.  Treated 2 UTI’s.  I have seen an older man that has many problems far beyond my ability.  And given out a lot of antibiotic ointment for impetigo.  I have listened to many chests of babies that have had coughs.  I have given out medicine for many fevers and achy bodies too.

In all of this I was able to build new and better relationships.  I have been able to trust the Lord to heal those who are sick.  I have been stretched in my language ability.  I have learned some new words.  My favourite being the word for pus, “nana”!  Sorry Nana but your name means pus here!

Thank you for all who have prayed for me while we have adjusted to life back here with the Ga’dang people.  Some days are very stressful.  Please continue to pray for me and the Ga'dang people.

Here are pictures of a couple of my patients: (I'll keep the nasty looking toe to myself!)







No comments: